Return

It's been two long years since I first set foot in Ulthuan and joined the war against the High Elves and the order alliance. In that time I have survived through the horrors of WAR*, and it has made me bitter and contemptuous. I have focused down kings and lowbies alike and found no joy in the wholesale slaughter, only an endless lust for more. I have stood by the banner of the guild Scion and broken warbands before us. But here in Volkmar that name is just a whisper on the wind. The world around me has become grey; the valleys of Dragonwake and Thunder Mountain once majestic and breathtaking are now commonplace. Little more than a pathing hindrance. Long gone are quests for glory, the learning of new skills or the acquisition of great treasures. I sit atop a dragon's horde of gold and talismans and think nothing of it. My vault contains enough full sets of the finest armor to adorn me twelve times over and countless weapons of otherworldly craftsmanship. Yet all I can see is the next purple tick. I constantly scroll my combat log looking not for KBs, but to see if opponents are even worth killing. And when my bloodlust fades, as my belief in this war dissolves, what have I left to keep me here? Perhaps it is time for peace, or at least an end to this tragedy? I could turn around and sail home tomorrow.

Instead I returned to the Blighted Isle. To Black Ark Landing and Narthain Beach to remember how it all used to be. To feel young and innocent once more. Two long years ago, it seems completely different to the vague recollection in my head. I should come here more often, but sadly there is no reason. It is deserted. I take off my armor and my greaves and stand once more upon the boat that brought me here. To my delight the memories flood back. I was so naive, untrained... a total n00b in a new world. But I was happy.
I kept a private journal in the Guild Library and now, in the hope of helping you all remember why you're here, I'd like to share it with you.

Oh and one more thing while I'm here...


*Anyone who has played WAR know exactly what I mean by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment